Seattle International Film Festival
June 6 & June 8
EVERGREEN: THE ROAD TO LEGALIZATION IN WASHINGTON is the definitive feature documentary film on Initiative 502, which made Washington the first American state to legalize possession of recreational marijuana when it went into effect on December 6, 2012. Colorado became the second state to legalize when its own pot amendment was signed into law four days later. The citizens of Washington and Colorado push drug war policies into the national spotlight by approving unprecedented pot legalization initiatives in the November 2012 elections.
The rippling effect of this pivotal decision on American drug policy continues to break ground in states across the nation.
EVERGREEN: THE ROAD TO LEGALIZATION IN WASHINGTON captures this historic time, providing a balanced view of the issues surrounding I-502 by going inside both proponent and opponent camps to see how citizens are working to change cannabis prohibition policy.
This documentary will serve as a case study for other states to see how Washington citizens have dealt with the complex politics behind marijuana prohibition. What are the local, federal and cultural implications of the first US state voting to approve recreational marijuana possession by a 56 percent to 44 percent margin? How did Washington State get this pot reform law passed in the wake of the failure of Proposition 19 in California? Why are a majority of medical marijuana patients, dispensaries and care providers strongly opposed to I-502?
EVERGREEN answers these questions while tracking the behind-the-scenes efforts of both campaigns – from initial grassroots fundraising efforts, to tense exchanges and conflict-filled campaign stops, to the historic vote by Washington citizens that effectively ended 75 years of cannabis prohibition policy and its future implications.
EVERGREEN also delves into the troubling depths of the War on Drugs, with a brief history lesson on cannabis and the effects of prohibition laws on our nation’s police forces, prisons, medical patients, citizens and economy.
Featuring exclusive footage and interviews with:
- Rick Steves, PBS travel host and prohibition reform activist
- Alison Holcomb, I-502 Campaign Director / ACLU of Washington Drug Policy Director
- John McKay, former US Attorney under George W. Bush
- Pete Holmes, Seattle City Attorney
- Tonia Winchester, I-502 Outreach Director
- Mary Lou Dickerson, Wash. State House of Representatives
- Don Pierce, Legislative Director for the Wash. Association of Sheriffs and Police Chiefs
- Pat Slack, Director of Snohomish County Drug Task Force
- Vivian McPeak, Co-Founder and Director of Seattle Hempfest
- Jodie Emery, Marijuana Reform Activist and wife of Marc ‘Prince of Pot’ Emery
- Douglas Hiatt, Seattle Defense Attorney
- Charles Mandigo, Former FBI Special Agent for Seattle Region
- Steve Sarich, Dispensary Owner and Director of Cannacare Marijuana Patient Network
- Dan Satterberg, King County Prosecuting Attorney
- Brendan Kennedy & Michael Blue, Marijuana Entrepreneurs / Privateer Holdings
- Roger Roffman, University of Washington Professor studying Marijuana
- Josh Berman, co-owner of 4Evergreen Clinic
- Dominic Holden, News Editor for The Stranger
- Jonathan Martin, Staff Reporter for The Seattle Times
- Poppy Sidhu, Medical Marijuana Activist
- Keith Blocker, Youth Organizer for the Tacoma Urban League
- Keith Henson, Director of Pierce County NORML
- Lisa Dank, Musician / Online Promotions Director for 4Evergreen Clinic
- Gil Mobley, Medical Cannabis Physician in Missouri and Washington
- Marijuana suppliers and pot-related businesses
- Drug dealers and local citizens on the street
Produced by veteran Seattle filmmakers Riley Morton and Nils Cowan with post-production by Jason Reid, Darren Lund and Adam Brown – the Webby and Emmy® Award-winning team behind the hit documentaries SONICSGATE: REQUIEM FOR A TEAM (2012), K2: SIREN OF THE HIMALAYAS (2012) and MAN ZOU: BEIJING TO SHANGHAI (2010).
Please direct any media, distribution, sponsorship or partnership inquiries to the following:
To join the EVERGREEN Email List, please send a message to the above address with EMAIL LIST in the subject line.
All content on this website Copyright 2012 Evergreen Film, LLC. All Rights Reserved.